A native of Battle Creek, Michigan, Assistant Dean Tami Martinez is an educator and an academic administrator who has taught public speaking and communication courses for almost 20 years. She holds an M.A. and a B.A. in Communication, as well as an A.S. in Business, from Andrews University (Berrien Springs, Michigan). She will complete her Ph.D. in Higher Education from Azusa Pacific University (Azusa, California) in 2020.
Tami joined the Communication Studies faculty at Indiana University South Bend in 2010 where she is a Senior Lecturer in Communication Studies. As of July 1, 2016, she also serves as the Assistant Dean of the Ernestine M. Raclin School of the Arts. Prior to that, she served as the Department Chair of Communication Studies for two years (2014-2016) after serving as the Director and Coordinator of the General Education Public Speaking Course from 2012-2014.
She came to IU South Bend from Andrews University where she was an Instructor in the Department of Communication and directed the General Education Public Speaking course. She also served as the Faculty Adviser for the weekly student newspaper "The Student Movement" for over five years.
Prior to her role in the classroom, she held leadership positions in the fields of public relations and marketing.
- Present - Ph.D. Higher Education, anticipated completion 2020, Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA
- 2010 - M.A. Communication
- 1993 - B.A. Communication
- 1992 - A.S. Business, Andrews university, Berrien Spings. MI
Thriving in students of color on college campuses
Intersections of positive psychology and student success
Diversity, access, and social justice within higher education
Women in leadership
Spending time with her husband and four children
Designing and building houses
Writing and comparing notes on National Public Radio’s latest programming and friends’ posts and links on Facebook
Courses Taught at IUSB:
- JOUR-J200 Reporting, Writing, and Editing I
- JOUR-J210 Visual Communication (traditional and fully online)
- SPCH-S121 Public Speaking (traditional, hybrid, 75% online, and non-standard 4-week summer courses)
- SPCH-S205 Introduction to Speech Communication
- SPCH-S223 Business & Professional Communication
- SPCH-S322 Advanced Interpersonal Communication: Deception & Lying (cross listed with SPCH-B399 – General Education)
- SPCH-S336 Current Topics in Communication: Family Communication
- SPCH-S427 Cross Cultural Communication